Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yummy Zucchini Bread

So... Where were we?... Ah yes, I was telling you about our harvest. One of the veggies we picked last Friday was that giant zucchini (it was hiding from me!). Well, it's great - we got lots of veggies! But what the heck am I going to do with all of it. Of course, easy answer is pickling... Right, but it's tedious (though I AM going to do that). Salads? Sure, but again, how many salads are we going to eat every day (same salads that is). I already made a vegetable soup - there is no recipe for this one, I just threw what I had into the pot, added some cubed beef, cooked it all and called it soup, he-he. It was actually pretty good - and what's even better, my hubby liked it (he's SUCH a picky eater that if he likes something, I know that it must be good!).

So here is a recipe of a Zucchini bread I found online. There were lots of different recipes, but I found this one looked easier to make (which it was). And what's even better, hubby liked it too!



Ingredients:
(The one egg is missing from the photo)
* All-purpose flour - 2 cups
* Baking powder - 1 tbsp
* Cinnamon - 1 tsp
* Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
* Salt - 1/2 tsp
* Brown sugar (packed) - 3/4 cup
* Egg - 1
* Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
* Milk - 1/2 cup
* Vanilla - 2 tsp
* Grated zucchini - 1.5 cups
* Optional add-ins: chopped walnuts, semi-sweet chocolate chunks (both of which I added)
Note: I use real vanilla extract, but you can add artificial - much cheaper.

Directions:

1. In a bowl, mix dried all of the dry ingredients with the exception of brown sugar - flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.








2. Grate zucchini. Chop walnuts.
3. In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla. Stir in zucchini, and walnuts.








4. Pour your liquid mixture over dry ingredients. Stir until combined.









5.  Scrape everything into a greased loaf pan. I out chocolate chips on top of the bread as well.

Bake at 350°F (180°C) in centre of the oven for about 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack; let cool completely.

Enjoy!
:)


Note: I found that the bread wasn't as sweet as something like banana bread (obviously), so it would go well with pretty much anything. For added sweetness, I would add more chocolate chips into the bread itself next time.
:)

1 comment:

  1. This looks absolutely amazing! I am not a huge fan of zucchinis but I think if it's a bit sweet, I may actually like it! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete