Monday, April 23, 2012

Mom's cabbage salad

My mom makes this easy salad that goes great as a side to any supper (or lunch, or by itself). I love it so much that while my mom is here for a visit, I got her to make this salad 5 times already (that's in 2 weeks!).

Anyways, it's really simple, but my friend Di asked me to write it down, so here it is:

Ingredients:
* Cabbage (half of the head would do)
* Tomatoes
* Cucumbers
* Garlic (optional, but does give it a bit more flavour)
* Onion (optional)
* Olive/vegetable/canola oil (any oil would do)
* Herbs such as dill, parsley, or any other thing you like
* Salt & pepper to taste
- amounts depend on your particular taste
- another option: sweet bell peppers, though we didn't use any

Directions:
1. Shred the cabbage like you would for coleslaw.
2. Cut up tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.
3. Chop garlic (we cheat and use the freeze-dried stuff).
4. Mix everything, throw in any additional herbs, salt & pepper; add in some oil.
5. Mix well and ENJOY!

To add more colour to your dinner table, you can use red cabbage instead of white (though it's got a bit tougher leaves):


Cheers,


1 comment:

  1. Mmmm - thanks for posting Mom's recipe. It looks delish and better yet, so simple to prepare. I'll be sure to try it this week.

    Anonymous simply because I couldn't figure out any other way of posting a comment! Yah, I'm still technologically challenged.
    Di

    ReplyDelete